- Starting Your Marriage Right by Dennis & Barbara Rainey looked like a great book, but as I thumbed through it, I realized that Merritt and I had already talked about all their suggested topics long before we were ever more than just friends. (It would probably be an excellent read-together book for many beginning a courtship relationship, though.)
- Men are like Waffles, Women are like Spaghetti by Bill and Pam Farrel had a fascinating word picture title–each element in a man’s life is in a separate box, while everything in a woman’s life touches everything else. But I think I’ll get more out of it when I’ve been married a few years.
- After Every Wedding Comes a Marriage by Florence Littauer is a book I’d still like to get my hands on (the title is one of such perspective!).
- Two Shall Be One is filled with such a refreshingly joyful perspective of marriage! This book has been one of my grandmother’s favorite gifts to give brides through the years. Ruth Harms Calkin’s books are out of print, but this title is worth looking up. (Two Shall Be One was also published as Letters to a Young Bride or Letters to Kristi).
- Becoming the Woman of His Dreams by Sharon Jaynes has biblical advice in a conversational style for married women.
- And then there’s Dr. Dobson’s Love for a Lifetime that I found at GoodWill. It’s a classic.
- Of course, Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerich sums it all up by exploring the two foundational issues of every marriage: it’s all about either love (for the women) or respect (for the men).
The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands isn’t a recipe book. But it is a recipe: for a happy husband! In a style only Dr. Laura Schlessinger can pull off, she gives it to you straight: it’s your job to respect your husband and make him #1 in your life. I don’t think any book has changed my perception of men and marriage so much as Proper Care and Feeding of Husands.
For Women Only is like a concise version of Proper Care and Feeding. Shaunti Feldhahn compiled survey results from over a thousand men to get the truth about the way men think and feel. And more important, the way they want their women to show them love, respect, and support. The man in your life may want to check out For Men Only for some secrets to understanding the woman he loves.
Now that I’ve told you all about the books I didn’t pack, though, I better get them packed! Just 7 days until I become his wife, his friend, his lover, forever and for always…